Thursday, March 31, 2011

sad news

Sorry I haven't been answering phone calls over the past couple of day, but I (we) keep getting really upset whenever we talk about things. This is the easiest way emotionally for me to update everyone all at the same time. I spent over 3 hrs at the vet Tuesday with L. Gumball. :( xrays...blood work...etc. His liver is starting to fail and he's becoming jaundice because he's not eating at all!!!!!!!!! I was told that if he doesn't start eating by this weekend then we'll have to put him down. :( He was given a steroid shot and an appetite stimulant prescription on Tuesday and has started eating a little. The dr. is going to call me everyday to discuss his progress...
We either put him down (which, unfortunately, we would end up doing) or it would be aggressive and expensive treatment to save him. Feeding tube, ultrasound, episcopacy (sp?), biopsy, chemo...the list goes on and on...

He only weighs 11.6 lbs. It's tough because he still has his same temperament--just less energy, which makes sense because he's not eating. He's losing a lot of muscle in addition to fat. He's literally dying of lack of nutrition like someone who is anorexic. :(

Yesterday the vet said we are definitely not close to being in the clear, but she is pleasantly surprised and happy for us that Gumball has started eating again. Yesterday he ate so much, but I have yet to see him eat today... :(...

On a lighter note...I had to smile while I was making the bed this morning because I found cat food crumbs on my side of the bed. I woke up twice in the middle of the night to Gumball eating out of the food bowl I placed on my bedside table. I've never been so happy for interrupted sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...