Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bruges, Belgium

Dear Grace,
While you and Mommy went back to Chicago early for Libbie/Matt's wedding in November, I had to stay back and work a few more days before making the flight to Chicago myself.  I had a weekend available before coming home so was told by many to visit Bruges, Belgium if I hadn't been there yet.  This medieval city was absolutely breathtaking and even though you can pretty much tour the entire city in just over a day, everywhere you looked resembled a post card.  I had plenty more pictures that I could have posted, but picked out some of my favorites.  Enjoy!
Love, Daddy


Belgium is known for 2 things: beer and chocolate!
When I started walking around that first morning, there was a heavy fog that remained over the city.  It was like being in a dream since many people weren't out yet and I was walking around before the stores opened.  I just kept turning into alleys and finding beautiful streets/canals/bridges to take pictures of.
This shot reminded me of something out of a Lord of the Rings film....I couldn't even describe how amazing it was walking around this area.  This is the Church of our Lady, which houses the sculpture of the Madonna and Child by Michelangelo....his only piece known to have left Italy in his lifetime.
Next up was the Basilica of the Holy Blood.  This church is said to contain a vial with the relics of Jesus Christ.  "It is said Joseph of Arimathea preserved the cloth with blood on it after washing Jesus's dead body following the crucifixion and was then brought to Bruges by Thierry of Alsace back in the 12th century."  You can see the vial in the picture below, which I was able to go up and touch while saying a prayer.  A very memorable moment!
Time for some Belgium beer tasting.  I elected to sample the local Bruges Zot, which was fantastic.  Some of my favorite Belgium beers are Hoegaarden, Leffe, Duvel and of course, Bruges Zot now.  There are 1,130 different Belgium beers......all with their own specific glass that I capture in the pictures below. (Amanda Wilson and your Mommy would have a lot of work cut out for them in Belgium.)
This is the main square that has the City Hall and the Belfry, which were main parts of the film, In Bruges.  I climbed to the very top of the Belfry earlier on, but due to the fog I was not able to get a decent picture.  I did have a nice picture of which way London was and how far away I had traveled.
Some more picturesque shots of the city.
It had to happen.....they just looked so good!
Just another sample of the amazing work that these people can do with CHOCOLATE!!!
Side story from Mommy: While you and I were busy preparing for Aunt Libbie's wedding, I received one of several phone calls from Daddy. I answered the phone to him saying, "You know Belgium waffles? They're for real!" 

Next up....the day trip to Brussels, Belgium, the heart of Europe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...