Thursday, August 11, 2011

Trafalgar Square & St. Paul's

Dear Grace,

As we were leaving the Churchill Museum we walked past the prime minster's house (how appropriate) toward the closest pub. The prime minster lives on Downing Street, which is as well known to the Britts as 1600 Pensilvania Avenue is to the Americans (the White House address). 

When I was pregnant with you, your aunts (the Schackmuth sisters) threw us a baby shower. They included every little detail down to the thank you cards. All the guests had to address their own envelope. Your Aunt Joni thought she was really funny by addressing her envelope to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I wrote all the thank yous, not looking at the addresses. I assumed they were all accurate since the owners addressed them. Needless to say, I received a returned thank you a couple days later all the way from the White House...
Good times with great people! We had such a wonderful time over a pint (or two) during our afternoon break. We would NEVER recommend the pub we stumbled into. The service was horrible- rude waitress and bar tender. We could not have inconvenienced them more by purchasing pints and lunch in their pub. It wasn't because we had a little one tagging along. They didn't discriminate with their poor service. It's a good thing we live by mottos such as, "it doesn't matter where you are...it's who you're with." So true! It was down pouring at this point in the day so we were in no hurry to leave. 

PS For those who are questioning our parenting style- Grace, you didn't have any beer; nor did your mouth touch the glass, despite what the picture depicts.   
Back outside to continue our tour in the sunshine... Daddy and I finally took our picture with one of the Trafalgar Square lions. A London tourist must. It was down pouring just before we approached the square. Daddy needed to help me hop up and the kindest French man helped your Daddy. Papa Lon was in charge of taking the pictures. He did a great job capturing the entire moment. 
Next stop- St. Paul's Cathedral. I told you this was an aggressive day around London. Grandma and Papa were only here for 3 days. So much to do with such little time. By the time we took the tube all the way towards the church, it was closed to tourists but opened for the nightly service. We took full advantage of being in the right place at the right time. We were able to attend a mass at St. Paul's Cathedral from the choir section! Talk about having the best seats in the house. Papa Lon couldn't believe he had traveled all the way to London to attend a mass. Your Daddy and I can't get enough of checking out the churches in Europe. It was a beautiful mass-- I can close my eyes and hear the choir singing and remember the church smell of incense. I'm sure none of us will forget how HOT it was sitting in the choir. You fell asleep as soon as the choir started singing. 
Grace, oh how I miss my Mom; your Grandma Patti. I didn't realize all the little things I observe when other people (especially family) are around you. I fee like I learned so much while your grandparents were here. Grandma Patti brought you a sippy cup so you can drink water (mixed with a little bit of juice) on a daily basis. For some reason, I haven't found a soft tipped sippy cup while living here- random. You have done so much better since you've had the cup your Grandma Patti brought you. 
Grandma Patti also introduced you to puffs. Since her visit, you have mastered the concept of 'gumming' the puffs. You prefer I put them in your mouth instead of you doing it yourself. As an 8 month old, I'm not sure if you are being lazy or if I'm responding to your every beck and call. Maybe a little bit of both?
I love you and enjoy exploring London with you, especially when family is in town to explore with us. 

Cheers! Mummy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...